Monday, June 6, 2011

Recipe of the Week: BBQ Beans

Summer is finally here!  Yesterday was our first really warm day and it was gorgeous!  (Three of my kids slept out on the trampoline.)  All of this sunshine has gotten me thinking about picnics and cookouts so I thought I'd share one of my favorite summertime recipes.  I don't like green bell peppers or onions (which a lot of bbq bean recipes have in them), so there are no peppers and only minced dried onions.  If you want one with those things in it, you can saute some up and add them or go find another recipe that does include that stuff.

On a side note, I am a really picky eater.  I won't touch onions unless they are chopped so fine and cooked so thoroughly that I can't tell they are there.  I also won't eat broccoli, carrots, spinach, cauliflower, tomatoes and probably some others unless they are raw.  And there's a bunch of veggies that I won't touch at all unless, like the onions, I can't tell they're there.  The one veggie I will eat no matter how you cook it (or not cook it) is potatoes. (Although from a dietary view they are considered a starch.)  I am from Idaho, after all.  Also, the only fruits I will eat are apples and bananas and occasionally an orange or a canned pear.  I will eat berries if they are super sweet (especially huckleberries, which we go pick in the woods in August/September).

Why am I telling you this?  Just so you know that most of my recipes will not contain the stuff mentioned above.  And if they do, chances are I've never tasted it.  Just so you know...

Anyway, on to the recipe.  I don't have a photo of them but they look a lot like this photo I found in a Google search (except I can see an onion in there):

Korrina's BBQ Beans
3 cans pork and beans
1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup barbeque sauce*
3 Tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard
2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
liquid smoke to taste
Mix everything together and warm over low heat until heated through.

*I usually use my mother-in-laws bbq sauce recipe so here it is as well (you get two recipes in one this week):

Linda's Barbecue Sauce

24 ounces ketchup
3-7 drops liquid smoke
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
Mix everything together and pour what you don't need back into the ketchup bottle.  Make sure you label it so you don't confuse it with the ketchup.  (They are very similar in color.)

Actually, I remember eating this sauce in high school.  Linda was a school cook at my high school and I'll bet that's where she got this recipe.  Anyway...

Enjoy!
Korrina

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog! The beans sound delicious. Think I'll try making some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog Korrina( love your name btw) I would eat beans everyday if I could.. so thank you for sharing your recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came across your bbq recipe maker blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading about the new bbq recipes and I tried some of them..I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    recipes for bbq

    ReplyDelete