Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spiritual Thought: Strength

I've kind of reserved Sundays on my blog for spiritual thoughts but don't think I only live my religion on Sunday.  These are things I think about all week long.  This thought actually got started last Tuesday.

Nephi was a prophet in the ancient Americas (about 600 B.C.).  He had two wicked older brothers who were very jealous of him.  Several times the brothers' anger with Nephi overcame them and they tied him up or beat him or whatever.  During one of the times that they tied him up, he uttered these words:

1 Nephi 7:17 ...Oh, Lord... give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.

Notice that he didn't ask the Lord to burst the bands; he asked the Lord to give him the strength to burst his bands.  He asked for the tools to overcome his difficulties.  Do we do that?  Do we expect the Lord to solve our problems or do we ask for the tools we need to solve our problems?  Another scripture says, "Faith without works is dead."  It takes faith to pray to our Heavenly Father, but it takes a lot more faith to do everything we can to solve a problem and then ask the Lord to pick up the slack.  I myself have been guilty of waiting for the Lord to solve my seemingly insurmountable problems without first thinking things through to see what I can do on my own.  I've noticed that when I sort of make a plan for dealing with a specific difficulty and then ask Heavenly Father, "Is this what I need to do?" that it's a lot easier to get answers and the help will come much more readily.  Of course, there have also been times when I haven't the faintest idea where to start or I am so overwhelmed that I can't even begin to think straight.  That's when I pray simply, "Oh, Lord, give me strength."  And he almost always does.

Thanks for reading,
Korrina

No comments:

Post a Comment